Thursday, September 11, 2008

Welcome to Morocco

First, a little housekeeping. My computer is a bit on the fritz, so I probably won't be posting as frequently in the immediate future as we all would have hoped.

Second, welcome to Morocco. I know it's a bit overwhelming, but that's the way it is for me, too. In all honesty, it's most likely because we have spent the plurality of our time learning the policies and logistics of what will be our new lives here in Peace Corps Morocco. It is all coming at us very fast (though with repeated assurances that it will be all coming at us again later), and jet lag - though only 4 hours - is probably still taking it's toll.

I will give a few first impressions, however, which are likely to be contradicted later on (hopefully, if I begin a political career in the future, my opponents won't find out about my flip-flopping). First, Morocco is full of beautiful cities and stark countryside and many other combinations of mutually excluding descriptions. People have been caring and indifferent and deceptive. Food has been exquisite, unmemorable, and quite unappealing.

I think this is the best possible situation one could expect. Having just left the States listening to exaltations of all Morocco ("the people are beautiful," "the country is beautiful," etc) and condemnations ("the men are sleazy," "the country is dangerous," etc), I'm happy to say that they are all wrong.

The people of Morocco are people, the city of Rabat is a city, and I'm very excited to be here.

More later.

3 comments:

Mike said...

We IBM folk were discussing today whether you had arrived in Morroco or if you were still Philadelphiaing it up. This answers our question!

Good to hear you arrived and things are going well.

(By the way, what an uninsigntfully elucidating post!)

James said...

Glad you got there safe. You wear that t-shirt yet? Did the ladies flock to you when you did? I thought so.

Your flag is up in our office, we will have to post a picture of it to send to you.

You should listen to the Flobots if you don't already. They are distinctly Duncansian.

Good job misspelling your insult, mike!

James said...

Oh, another thing. You might want to set up an RSS feed for your blog, especially if you'll be updating infrequently. That way when you do update, I (and anyone else who has joined the modern world) will see your posts appear in our feed readers post haste. Blogger appears to make this very easy to do. See here: Blogger Feed Settings Help